What you will need:
- Two sheets of white pepa (paper)
- Colouring pencils
- Two small magazines or nūpepa (newspapers).
How to make your tī rakau:
- Roll up your magazine or nūpepa as tight as you can.
- Tape around the edges and middle to hold it in place.
- Make two rolls.
- Tape a piece of white paper around each roll and decorate.
How to play:
- Create a rhythm by tapping the end of your tī rakau on the ground or tapping your tī rakau together.
- Face a partner and try tapping your tī rakau at the same time as your partner.
- Try throwing your tī rakau diagonally to your partner and getting them to do the same at the same time.
- Play music and tap and throw your tī rakau to the beat.