To grow vegetable seedlings you will need:
- Cardboard egg carton (or toilet rolls)
- Potting soil
- Seeds - start with something easy like cucumber, raddish, lettuce or zucchini
- Add potting soil to individual egg cups in carton (be sure to do this outside or in a place with lots of fresh air).
- Poke a hole in the center of each cup. Place one seed in each hole. Cover with soil.
- Lightly cover soil with water, a spray bottle or old drink bottle works well.
- Place egg carton on a tray or something to catch excess water.
- Keep the carton in a warm light place until they begin to sprout. Make sure to water seeds everyday. The soil should stay very moist.
- Once the seeds have sprouted into small seedlings, you can transfer them to a permanent location in the garden. Egg cartons will break down so you can directly place them in the ground.