- 1 kilogram pumpkin, peeled and chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 4 cups water
- 3 teaspoons vegetable (or chicken) stock powder
- 1 tin Mexican-spiced tomatoes (400 gram tin)
- 1. Add onion and garlic to pot with a little oil. Fry until onion is cooked, but not brown.
- 2. Add pumpkin, potato, water and stock powder.
- 3. Bring to the boil and simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes or until vegetables are very soft and mushy.
- 4. Remove soup from heat.
- 5. Add canned tomatoes.
- 6. Purée soup with stick blender, mash with a potato masher, or blend in a food processor.
- 7. If necessary, reheat before serving.
- 8. Serve with toasted wholegrain bread.
Notes- If you are short of time, cut pumpkin and potato into smaller pieces so it cooks quicker.
- To make it easier to cut up the pumpkin, put the whole piece in the microwave for 2-3 minutes. This will soften the pumpkin, making it easier to peel and chop.
- This soup freezes well, so make extra and freeze some for a quick, easy meal another day.