Slow cooker roast chicken
Slow cooker chicken = fast dinner! Set the slow cooker or crockpot in the morning and when you get home, your chicken will be moist, tender and ready to enjoy!
- 1 chicken, defrosted
- 1 tablespoon low-salt soy sauce or sweet chilli sauce
- 1. Put a whole defrosted chicken (breast-side down) in your slow cooker or crockpot.
- 2. Pour over soy sauce or sweet chilli sauce and gently rub in – this adds flavour and colour.
- 3. Put the slow cooker on LOW for 6 to 8 hours. The type of slow cooker and the size of the chicken will change the cooking time, so check the chicken is thoroughly cooked before serving. You can tell the chicken is cooked when the juices run clear. Run a knife along the breast bone to check that no pinkness remains.
- 4. Serve with your family's favourite veggies or try a salad and a baked potato.
NotesFor more flavour:
- try adding 2 or 3 cloves of garlic (smashed but still whole) and a lemon (cut into quarters) inside the cavity of the chicken before cooking.
- try sprinkling some dried mixed herbs, dried thyme, paprika, lemon pepper seasoning, or Moroccan seasoning on the outside of the chicken before cooking.