- 1 teaspoon oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- chilli powder to taste (optional)
- 400gram can chopped tomatoes
- 1 capsicum, sliced
- 6 eggs
- 1. Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan on medium heat. Be sure to use a pan that has a lid that fits (see Notes below).
- 2. Add the onions and cook until soft.
- 3. Stir in the cumin, paprika, garlic and chilli (if using) and cook for one minute.
- 4. Add the tomatoes and capsicum and simmer for five minutes.
- 5. Make sure the mixture in the pan is moist enough to poach eggs. If not simply add a little water. Then make 6 dents or holes in the mixture.
- 6. Crack the eggs into the dents or holes, then cover the pan with a lid and cook the eggs to your liking.
- 7. Serve on toast or with bread rolls.
NotesThis dish is perfect for brunch.
You can use any leftover cooked vegetables instead of the capsicum.
If your pan doesn't have a lid, cover it with tin foil instead - be sure to tightly fold it around the side of the pan to keep the heat in so the eggs cook.