- - 1 tablespoon oil
- - 1 onion, diced
- - 2 carrots, diced
- - 2 stalks celery, diced
- - 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- - 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- - 2 1/2 cups water
- - 24 fresh mussels in shell
- - 2 tbsp cornflour
- - 1 cup corn kernels
- - 1 cup peas
- - 1 can evaporated milk
- 1. Heat oil in a large pot and gently cook the onion, carrot and celery.
- 2. Add garlic and cook briefly.
- 3. Add potatoes and water and bring to the boil.
- 4. Reduce heat and simmer gently.
- 5. Add mussels and cook until they are all open.
- 6. Remove the mussels and take the mussel meat from the shells, discarding any that don’t open.
- 7. Chop the mussel meat roughly and set aside.
- 8. Add peas and corn to the pot.
- 9. Add evaporated milk.
- 10. Return to a gentle simmer.
- 11. Mix cornflour with a little cold water to form a thin paste.
- 12. Slowly add cornflour paste to soup mixing constantly until you reach the desired thickness.
- 13. Return chopped mussel meat to the pot.
- 14. Serve immediately.