- - 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- - 2 carrots, finely chopped
- - 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- - 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- - 1/2 cup macaroni
- - 2 1/2 cups low-salt vegetable stock (or 2 teaspoons stock powder and 2 1/2 cups water)
- - 2 1/2 cups water
- - 2 dried bay leaves (optional)
- - 2 cans chopped tomatoes (400 grams)
- - 1 can cannellini or kidney beans (400 grams)
- - 1/2 cup frozen green beans
- - 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- - 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1. Heat a little oil in a large saucepan. Add garlic, onion, carrot and celery and cook for 2 or 3 minutes.
- 2. Add pasta, stock, water and bay leaves (if using) and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and gently simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- 3. Add canned tomatoes, cannellini or kidney beans, frozen green beans, oregano and basil. Cook for another few minutes.
- 4. The soup is ready when the pasta is tender and the soup is hot. Remove from heat.
- 5. Serve in bowls with wholegrain toast.