- 2 cups macaroni pasta
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups low-fat milk
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 capsicum, sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 3 slices lean ham, chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- 2. Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Add macaroni and cook according to packet directions.
- 3. Drain cooked pasta, transfer to a baking dish and set aside.
- 4. Melt margarine in a frying pan over a medium heat.
- 5. Add chopped onion and cook until soft.
- 6. Add the flour and mix well with a wooden spoon. Gradually add milk. Heat gently until thickened, stirring frequently to avoid lumps.
- 7. Remove from the heat and stir through grated cheese.
- 8. Pour the sauce over the cooked pasta.
- 9. Stir in the vegetables and ham (if using), and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- 10. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden on top.