- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground tumeric
- 1 teaspoon garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ginger, crushed
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- 1 can brown lentils (400 grams), rinsed
- 4 cups chicken stock (make by mixing 2 stock cubes or 4 teaspoons of stock powder with 4 cups water)
- 1 can chopped tomatoes (400 grams)
- 2 cups chopped vegetables (try cauliflower and carrots)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- Sprinkle of black pepper
- 1. Heat oil in a large pot.
- 2. Cook onions for 2 minutes, until soft.
- 3. Add the garlic, cumin and tumeric and stir for 1 minute.
- 4. Add the ginger, bay leaf (if using) and lentils.
- 5. Pour over the stock, add the tinned tomatoes, bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 minutes.
- 6. Add vegetables and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- 7. Pull out the bay leaf and add the lemon juice, salt and pepper.
NotesYou can use any vegetables that you have available, fresh or frozen. Try brocoli, zucchini, corn or beans.