- - 500 grams red kūmara, roughly peeled and chopped into pieces
- - 1 can chickpeas (420 gram can), drained and rinsed
- - 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds, roughly chopped, optional
- - 1 lemon, juiced
- - 2 tablespoons olive oil
- - 1 clove garlic, crushed
- - 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- - 1/4 teaspoon chilli powder, optional
- - 1/4 teaspoon ground paprika
- - 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1. Cook kūmara in a pot of boiling water until tender. Drain well and allow to cool.
- 2. If using pumpkin seeds, toast them by putting in a medium to hot non-stick frypan and cook for a few minutes until starting to lightly brown – take care not to burn.
- 3. Combine the kūmara, chickpeas, toasted pumpkin seeds (if using), lemon juice, oil, garlic, cumin, chilli powder (if using), paprika and black pepper in a food processor and whizz until smooth.
- 4. Garnish with more pumpkin seeds.
- 5. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Makes about 2 cups.