- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 large can smoked fish (450g can)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup mixed vegetables, chopped e.g. carrots, peas, beans, broccoli
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 1 medium tomato, chopped (optional)
- 1 handful chopped parsley (optional)
- 1/2 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- 2. Melt margarine in saucepan. Add flour, stir, and cook for a minute on medium heat. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly until you have a thick sauce.
- 3. In another saucepan, cook vegetables and onion in boiling water until only just soft then drain.
- 4. Add vegetables, eggs, tomato, drained fish and parsley to the sauce and gently stir to mix.
- 5. Put mixture in an oven-proof casserole or baking dish.
- 6. Sprinkle over the breadcrumbs mixed with the grated cheese, herbs and black pepper.
- 7. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes until golden and crisp.
- 8. Serve with mashed potato or a side salad.
NotesUse any vegetables you have on hand such as pumpkin, corn kernels (frozen, canned or fresh), spinach or silverbeet, leeks or cauliflower.