- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/4 pumpkin, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs
- 3 cups salt-reduced chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 large chicken breast
- 1 cup dried red lentils (optional)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened natural yoghurt or lite sour cream
- 1. Heat the oil in a large pot over a medium heat.
- 2. Add the garlic, onion, carrot, celery, pumpkin and mixed herbs and stir until the vegetables start to go soft (about five minutes).
- 3. Cut the chicken breast into 3-4 even sized chunks and add to the pot with the chicken stock, water and lentils.
- 4. Bring the pot to the boil, then cover and turn the heat down to low. Leave to simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 5. Remove the chicken from the pot and shred with two forks (or your fingers). Return to the pot, add the sour cream or yoghurt and stir well.
- 6. Remove from the heat and serve in bowls with crusty bread on the side.
NotesCut the vegetables into even-sized pieces so they cook consistently in the soup.