- - 1 tablespoon oil
- - 500 grams stewing beef (e.g. cheeks, brisket or chuck)
- - 2 onions, diced
- - 2 carrots, diced
- - 2 cups mushrooms, chopped
- - 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- - 2 potatoes, washed and diced
- - 3 cups water
- - 1 beef stock cube
- - 1 tablespoon vinegar
- - 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1. Heat oil in a large pot.
- 2. Add the meat and brown all over - do this in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan.
- 3. Remove the meat from the pot and set aside.
- 4. Add the onion and carrot. Cook over a medium heat until they begin to soften.
- 5. Add the mushrooms and garlic, continue to cook until they begin to soften.
- 6. Add the meat back to the pot along with potatoes, water, stock, vinegar and tomato paste.
- 7. Cover and cook over low heat for approximately 2 hours or until the meat is tender.