- can sit without support
- can pick up and bring food to their mouth
- are learning to bite and chew
- may have some teeth.
Tips for feeding seven and eight month-old babies:
- Continue to purée cooked meat, fish or chicken
- Introduce mashed cooked fruit and vegetables, mashed cooked legumes, mashed cooked eggs, soft cheese (such as cottage cheese), custard or plain yoghurt (without sugar)
- Remove stalks and stringy bits from foods like pūhā, silverbeet or bok choy
- Offer finger foods in pieces that can be picked up by baby. Foods such as very soft fruit and vegetables (ripe bananas, ripe avocado, well-cooked pumpkin), toast fingers or thin slices of cheese are good options.
- Remember to keep offering breast milk or formula before solids until your baby is eight to nine months old.